The principal objective of ELIAMEP Asian Studies Programme is to closely monitor developments in Asia. Taking into account the shift of the US interest from the Middle East to the Asian Continent and the economic and political rise of China, such as research program can contribute to a better understanding of politics and international relations in Asia as well as to an assessement of the strategy of the important players. The main activities of ELIAMEP Asian Studies Programme will be the publication of relevant papers and the organisation of debates to facilitate public dialogue.
Although this field has not been particularly developed in Greece, ELIAMEP establishes its Asian Studies Programme having already taken some steps towards this direction. These include the following events:
- Roundatble Discussion with a delegation from Pacific Consulting Group, 9 December 2016
- Roundatable Discussion with a delegation from China Institute of International Studies (CIIS), 2 June 2016
- Roundtable Discussion with the Ambassador of Australia to Greece, John Griffin, ‘Why Asia is of growing importance for Europe’, 31 May 2016
- Roundtable Discussion with Professor Τomonori Yoskikazi (The National Institute for Defense), ‘Japan’s foreign policy’, 30 May 2016
- Roundtable Discussion with Dr. Yen Chen–shen (Institute of International Relations), ‘Taiwan’s political situation’, 14 May 2016
- Roundtable Discussion with Dr Frans-Paul van der Putten (Clingendael Institute): ‘The New Silk Road and Greece’s role’ 4 April 2016
- Public Discussion: ‘The New Silk Road and China’s foreign policy’, 30 March 2016
- Public Discussion: ‘Maritime Security – Differences between Europe and Asia’, 15 January 2016.
- Roundtable Discussion: ‘Security Issues in Europe’s Southern Neighborhood and in Southeast Asia: A Comparative Analysis’, 30 November 2015
Also ELIAMEP paticipated in the first ‘EU-China Think Thank Dialogue’, which took place in Beijing on 6 and 7 April 2016. It has also participated in ‘New Med’ research network launched by Ιstituto Affari Internazionali. In collaboration with Torino World Affairs Institute they co-organised the conference: ‘China in the Mediterranean’ in Torino in 17 and 18 February 2016.
- George Tzogopoulos, ‘Sino-American Relations under Trump’, CIFE, January 2017
- George Tzogopoulos, ‘Greece: Perspectives on Eurasian Integration’, chapter in the book Absorb and conquer: An EU approach to Russian and Chinese integration in Eurasia, ECFR, June 2016
- George Tzogopoulos, ‘From China to Greece – on track for the New Silk Road – Whither Sino-Greek relations?’ , CIFE, March 2016
- George Tzogopoulos, ‘China and Juncker’s Investment Plan’, ELIAMEP Briefing Note, Νovember 2015
- George Tzogopoulos, ‘The Piraeus Port and Sino-Greek Relations’, ELIAMEP Briefing Note, Νovember 2015
- Thanos Dokos, ‘The Geopolitical Implications of Sino-Greek Relations’, Clingendael Institute, May 2013
Programme Coordinators: Dr Thanos Dokos (ELIAMEP Director General) and Dr George Tzogopoulos